Last Thursday, HB 5013 passed out of committee and now sits on the House floor for a vote. This bill will likely be brought up on the floor for a house vote this week, with a second reading on Wednesday and vote on Thursday. Mayor Duggan, a number prominent Detroit Business men and corporations, and members from the Michigan Chamber are working hard to advance this bill. Additionally, HB 5013 will increase the amount of Medicaid spending by $80 million in ten years. IT IS TIME TO TAKE ACTION AND MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD. We strongly encourage you to join us at the Capitol and oppose this legislation, which would:
- Authorize unprecedented dollar cap limitations on no-fault benefits
- Give insurance companies greater control over patients' medical care
- Greatly increases the power of the insurance companies while taking legal rights away from patients
- Only offers temporary premium rate reductions, if any at all
- Email your legislators. We’ve provided a pre-written form letter (link no longer available), but feel free to make changes or write your own letter and send it. If you write your own, be sure they know your situation and what you stand to lose if this passes.
- Call your legislators.We’ve provided talking points (link no longer available), but feel free to make changes or include your own. Be sure they know your situation and what you stand to lose if this passes.
- Use social media to share your position and stories regarding your health care situation and be sure to use the hashtags #ProtectNoFault and #NO5013. Tell your story and let people know that the care being received would be impossible under the Duggan-Leonard plan.