What to Expect
In early November, the Brain Injury Association of Michigan hosts our Quality of Life Conference. This half-day conference will focus on quality of life issues for survivors of brain injury, their family members, and caregivers. Learn strategies for stress management, movement, relaxation and more!
Who Should Attend
The conference is designed for Survivors, Family Members, and Caregivers. Professionals are welcome to attend. The subject matter of this conference will be applied for 3 CBIS credits.
- Brain Injury Survivor & Family Rate: $20 per person.
- Aide/Staff Rate: $10 per person (please call 810-229-5880 to register an aid)
- Professional Rate: $40 per person.
LocationCrown Plaza Lansing West
925 S Creyts Rd Lansing, MI 48917 (517) 323-7100
Rooms are available at the Crowne Plaza Lansing West for $139 a night. Reservations can be made at the hotel by calling 877-322-5544, or be made online using the reservation code is BIQ.
What Past Attendees Said About The Quality of Life Conference
- "This was a great Conference and learning experience with amazing Experts, Professionals and Caregivers!"
- "What a wonderful conference. I wished that many of my peers would have been there. As a Case Manager it really helped to remind us of why we serve this special and amazing population!"
- "There were so many wonderful tools shared. Among them, simply just breathing and being present are always powerful reminders for all of us."
- "My first exposure to any type of organization for survivors of brain injury. Very impressed!! I imagine it is difficult to organize something like this that would satisfy all attendees, as there is such a variety of people in attendance. Well done!"
2017 Quality of Life Conference Schedule
|9:00 AM – 9:45 AM||Registration/Continental Breakfast (Exhibits Open)|
|9:45 AM – 10:00 AM||Welcome|
|10:00 AM – 11:00 AM||Session I: Love Your Brain Yoga|
|11:00 AM – 11:30 AM||Exhibitor Break|
|11:30 AM – 12:30 PM||Session II: qEEG “Brain Mapping” for Traumatic Brain Injury|
|12:30 PM – 1:00 PM||Light Lunch/Exhibitor Break|
|1:00 PM – 2:00 PM||Session III: Understanding Headaches|
Session DescriptionsSession I Love Your Brain Yoga: The LoveYourBrain (LYB) Foundation developed a research-based yoga and meditation program specifically tailored for the TBI community in order to help improve and restore wellbeing. Learn how Origami Brain Injury Rehabilitation Center partnered with LYB, the first clinical partnership in the country, to bring the FUNdamental Yoga Series to survivors and caregivers in the Mid-Michigan area. During the session you will explore breathing exercises and guided meditation, learn about the benefits of a yoga practice, and receive tips for incorporating yoga and meditation activities at home.
Session II qEEG "Brain Mapping" for Traumatic Brain Injury: Attendees will learn about how brain mapping enables us to see your pattern of mental strengths and weaknesses. It shows areas of the brain where there is too much or too little activity and areas where the brain is not functioning properly. Once the brain is mapped, a neurofeedback program can be created to establish goals for the patient.
Session III Understanding Headaches: Attendees will have the opportunity to learn why a headache is not just a headache, that it is a disorder of the brain and how it impacts the patient.